Saturday, September 02, 2006

Tanzanian Hospital Visit and More

Intimidating post title, I know. But I have indeed made a Tanzanian hospital visit, at 9:00pm at that.

What Happened This Week
-Monday none of my classes met but I had Kiswahili
-Tuesday none of my classes met but I had Kiswahili. We moved out of Hall IV where we were staying, and into Hall III. That was stressful because we were supposed to move Sunday, then Monday, then Tuesday morning. We didn't move until 3:30 because there were some people refusing to move. They finally did though, so we are moved in. I am on the top floor, and have a great view of the ocean. It's 129 stairs to get here.
-Wednesday I went to lecture at 7am. Around 10am I start feeling a little sick. By 11am my joints are aching so much it hurts to walk, stand, sit, lay down. I have occasional bouts of vomiting and diarrhea. From 11am-4pm I have a fever of 103. At 3:30 I go to the health center, get tested for malaria. It comes back negative, very weird. My fever starts dropping, but at 8pm I still have a fever of 101.7 and two of my friends convince me to go to the hospital to check it out because I still can't keep food or liquids down. And my joints are still incredibly ache-y. So we go, and get there around 9pm after finding a taxi and driving there. I get through the bureacracy and finally get seen by the doctor, who sends me upstairs to the lab to get tests done, then the lab technician sends me downstairs to pay for my tests, then back up to get the results, then take the results to the doctor, talk to the doctor. There is nothing they can identify that is wrong with me, he gives me a prescription for oral rehydration packets. I give the prescription to the nurse, who writes something on the prescription, take it to the reception where I pay for the oral rehydration packets, go back to the nurse to get the oral rehydration packets. We get back to the dorm at 11:10pm. I don't have a fever anymore, but my joints are still hurting. So I take ibuprofen and crash. Exciting night, isn't it?

Thursday I stay around the dorm cause I'm still not feeling in top shape. I hang out with one of my friends, who is now feeling sick. I take her to the campus clinic and she has malaria.

So yeah. Today I have had Kiswahili for 5 hours. It's a little excessive. Tonight there is a concert called "Intellectuals Night" on campus that features local musicians. We might go check it out if Thomas thinks it's safe. I don't know why it wouldn't be, because it is in the middle of campus.

My week has been pretty exciting so far, I kind of hope I don't have a week with that much illness excitement again.

No comments: