Saturday, September 30, 2006

Good Email Day

Today was a good email day. I got emails from my two wonderful friends Niki and Sumner, I got an email from my sister I got email from Carissa, I got email from the LCCT program saying we don't have to come home later as previously threatened. That was exciting. Not that I was going to change my plans as it was. Nonetheless, we officially aren't being asked to change our flight dates, which is good.

I also got feedback on my research project proposal. My proposal was basically that I want to compare and contrast Western feminist theory with African feminist theory. I always wanted to talk about how it's problematic to refer to Western theory and African theory because within both there are many different theories of feminism. In the feedback email I got, Barbara suggested I narrow the scope of my project down, so that I focus on a particular group or cooperative in Tanzania/Dar and comparing the theoretical approach they use to feminism to the approach used by Western feminists. So my thought now is to compare and contrast the UDSM Gender Club with the LC Feminists. Neat idea? I thought so. And easy, cause I'm quite familiar with LC Fems and it's much less intimidating to go to Gender Club meetings than show up at an NGO and say "hi, clearly I'm an mzungu, I'm a student at Dar and I want to write a research paper about you."

Mangos aren't in season yet. It makes me sad. Almost every day I stop by the shop in between Hall III and campus and ask Ibrahim, the owner, whether or not he has mangos and he laughs and tells me to wait. So who knows, supposedly any day now there will be mangos again.

No comments: