Monday, August 28, 2006

"Registration"

Not a whole lot has happened since we returned from break, I will be honest. I've had a lot of time to rest and try to get rid of the glorified cold I picked up in Mbeya.

Thursday we didn't have any scheduled activity. I stopped by the LINKS office to pick up my package/letters that had arrived, and I got information for registration and international student orientation.

I must say that I will never complain about Luther's registration process ever again. Ever. It is wonderful, convenient, fast and easy to understand. The process here, I just don't get. Thomas is trying very hard to be helpful and explain what we need to do, but I am just not grasping the process. As far as I understand, we pick out our top four classes, and then some. We go around and get someone (supposedly the head of the department, but other people have told me anyone from the department will do) to sign our registration form, both copies. We were encouraged to start this before classes start, but it wasn't necessary. Classes start on Monday, tomorrow, and we basically attend our top four classes, hope their times don't change, collect signatures, and turn our two copies of our registration form in to the LINKS office... So the process is a little confusing. Nonetheless, I tried to find department heads for signatures, gave up and went and did my laundry, which was necessary.

Friday we had international student orientation, which was incredibly boring. We listened to a lot of lectures on health, security, gender issues, that we have already heard. On the other hand, I got to see and meet many more of the international students that aren't living in our dorm. And we had really good rice at the "special lunch" they served. It had cashews in it. I got a slip from the main post office in Dar saying I have a package to pick up, which is exciting, but also frustrating. It means that I need to go downtown to the main post office, pay fees, some of which I am supposed to bargain down, in order to get my package. It will be an adventure.

Saturday my friend/roommate and I went downtown to find the Post Office and pick up packages, only to find it is closed on weekends. So we found an internet cafe, walked around, at lunch at a cafe, I bargained for and bought a Tanzanian soccer jersey, we walked around some more, then came back to campus. For dinner, I went to a place called the Garden Bistro with some of the women in my dorm. We had a small adventure getting there. First, it's in Msasani, which is the richer area of Dar. I knew which road it was on, but did not know how to get there by daladala. So we went to Ubungo, then got on the Msasani daladala. It was a looooong time. And we didn't see the road, or really know where we were, and then the daladala got to the last stop. So we got off and walked around confused. Luckily, one of the girls did an excellent job of flagging down a taxi. I was chosen as the spokesperson and used my Kiswahili skills to bargain and get us a cheap ride to the restaurant.

We arrived, and the restaurant is beautiful. The tables are all outside, under umbrellas, there are torches and candles all over, and you can see the stars. Very nice place. We ordered indian food, which was delicious. I had a brownie for dessert. Tanzanian culture isn't big on dessert, it's usually fruit, if there is anything. Which is fine, but I miss chocolate.

Today I was a bum. I washed a pair of pants, read, organized my schedule, relaxed... it's been a good day.

Tomorrow is the first day of classes. I am a little stressed out about that, just because the registration process is still a little mysterious to me. I will be attempting to get my package from the post office again, so that could be fun. Also, I think I might start playing ultimate frisbee every Wednesday afternoon which would be a lot of fun.

No comments: