Saturday, November 11, 2006

One Month Left

Today I have exactly 30 days until I return to the United States. I have mixed feelings on this. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to going home and seeing my friends and family again. But I'm also sad to be leaving.
Being here is wonderful. As frustrated as I get with Tanzanians, bureacracy, privilege, neocolonialism, international students, the humidity and with myself, I still really enjoy it here.
Tanzania is beautiful. Yesterday morning I was walking to class, and there is this small open grassy area between hall III (where I live) and hall V (in the direction of where I was heading). The horizon to was beautiful. It was orange-ish that faded up into a bright blue.
I think one of the things that will make leaving difficult is that I've just started to feel like I've adjusted. Water and power shortages, ok. Creepy men hitting on me, ok. Wishing that I worked harder on my swahili every time I go into town, ok. Crowded library, humidity, rain, ok.
It'll be different not holding someone's hand when you talk to them. No long extended greetings. No spontaneous hand slapping during conversation. No ridiculous idioms like "selling tea" or "killing the night." No more fresh delicious fruit in the cafeteria. No more daladalas. As frustrating as they are, I will really miss using them.
anyways.
Going home soon.. but I'm going to enjoy my time here while I still have it. Enough of the melodrama. I'm going to Mwenge.

1 comment:

.:m-e-g-g-o:. said...

hey you....did leah give you the card and cd i sent for you?

just wondering...

love you mucho,
meggo