Thursday, November 02, 2006

My 21st Birthday and the week following

For my birthday, I went to the beach. My friend Wendi, who is also on the LCCT program, had her birthday on the 29th, so we jointly celebrated. We stayed overnight in a banda on the beach. Everyone from LCCT came except for Zach. It was a lot of fun because we hadn't all hung out together in a really long time.

Really, the day was pretty uneventful. I slept in, hung out with my roommate for a while, then went to the beach after lunch. At the beach I went swimming for a little bit, and then journalled.

Honestly, the highlight of the day for me was the fact that my grandparents called, and my family called. It's been a very long since I've talked to my grandparents and my family, and I miss them. I'm looking forward to seeing them when I get back to the US. I got to talk to my grandma, my grandpa, my sister, and my parents.

After talking to my family, we ate dinner, and then played cards a little bit. We talked a lot, play the game never have i ever, and talked more. It was my 21st birthday and Wendi's, so we did have some celebratory drinks, nothing crazy though.

It was very relaxed, and calm, which is the kind of celebration I wanted. And we were on a beach in Tanzania, so I had a pretty cool 21st birthday I think.

I'm getting ready to come home. Really, it's getting down to just a month and a half. That isn't much from where I am right now. Especially considering we have our research paper to do, and exams. So I think the next month will fly by without me even noticing.

Oh! Mangos are officially in season I think! I had one in the cafeteria today and it was delicious. I am very excited, I might eat a mango every day until I leave because they are delicious.

The little rainy season has started. It has rained every day for a week. It doesn't rain all day, but it rains hard when it does, and it has rained for a few hours straight each day. The streets just turn to mud, and there are little rivers of water flowing around. I like it though, because it breaks the humidity, and I get to wear my sweatshirt which makes me happy.

This weekend, I don't think I have any plans. Friday night I am meeting a friend of mine named Mark downtown at Posta. We're going to have dinner and discuss the writings of Riki Wilkins and Judith Butler. I'm excited.

No comments: